Friday, March 1, 2013

[Fashion Alert] Spring Trends 2013 Part III - BLACK & WHITE VERTICAL STRIPES


Black & white vertical striped pants - this year's HIT ITEM! So popular that they deserve an own article!

Read on to learn about this unique pants-phenomenom!


~ Mary ~




How did this even happen? 
I really wonder who originally came up with the idea!
Anyways, it happened! - Pants with the pattern of black & white vertical stripes have become THE item of the year. They're literally available in EVERY SHOP.
One could believe that they've become a basic piece this season. It seems like they've reached the status of your everyday, essential, blue jeans because every shop carries them!



The first time I've seen them was on Kpop Girl Band Girls' Generation's Seoyoung.
It was in there Music Video "I've Got A Boy" which was released on the 1st January this year. Back then, I saw them on her and my thoughts were: 
"Oh my goodness, quite some unique pants! It's one of those items that only Popstars can were. I mean, who would were those in everyday life?!"

Can you spot Seoyoung wearing the hit pants? 
...
And I was so wrong... Well, that is referring to the second half of my thoughts. The pants DID become a unique sensation. 
BUT they're not a Kpop-star-only item, they're out there in public and everyone wears them!

Don't the pants remind you of a referee's uniform? At least, I think they do.
I've seen bad and good examples of people sporting these zebra-style pants in the streets.

Like Girls' Generation's Seoyoung, girls who have long model-like legs look quite good in those. However it's the opposite with short-legged, chubbier girls. In that case the pants look verrrry...wrong. 

I know, I know, vertical stripes slim you down. That is in fact a true saying.
BUT since we have alternating WIDE black and white stripes, the lengthening and slimming effect is drastically turned down. Consequently the white parts will appear stretched out and thus make you look even more voluminous!

Conclusion: Stay away from these pants if you have relatively short and thick legs.
But HEY - there are solutions for those who still want to go with the black & white stripes trend: 

1) Try to go for thinner and less spaced-out stripes. That way the pants will look "more black than white". You'll know what I mean, when you look at a pair of thick-striped and a pair of thin-striped pants from afar. The thin-striped pair looks almost black from afar. And we all know black makes one look slimmer ;)

2) Why not try out other black & white striped items? Pants with that pattern are not the only option. Most likely a nice blouse held in black & white stripes will flatter every girl with every body shape.




If you wonder whether I own a pair of these hit pants...
No, I do not. I don't mind the colours black and white, not at all, but it's too bold of a print for my taste. 
How do you guys think about the pants of 2013?

No comments:

Post a Comment